Thursday, June 17, 2010

Comfortable & Contented

And that's why I work from home too. ;)

A couple of weeks back, MAYA & RUHI was offerred a spot at one of the major department stores here in Singapore. I went for the meeting with the buyer, who did my head in with talk on sales projections, commission percentages, sale events' policies... I literally broke out in a cold sweat.

After about an hour, I came out of the meeting room none the wiser about retailing and business, but stonecast-sure about one thing, and that is the fact that I could never be an entrepreneur.

The sheer volume at which I would have to produce to keep a floor sales assistant, generate sales enough to break even after paying off commissions and material costs, is just crazy. I would HAVE to delegate crafting, and that is just unfathomable for me. Or maybe, "incapable" is a better word.

I'm happy where I am: Working at my own pace, in my own home, wearing what I want to, and best of all, boss of my own art.

So I said "no" to the department store. Some may see it as a waste of opportunity. But I know it's not me, and not where I want to go. Yes, it's an opportunity to make big money, build the brand, so on and so forth. But I guess those aren't my ambitions.

The only reason MAYA & RUHI is available at a couple of department stores in Kuala Lumpur, is one super-fashionista-entrepreneur-and-ultra-cool-stuntwoman chick named Rachel Khiew. I sit at home, and conceptualise and craft to my heart's content, while she does all the hard work of putting the pieces out there and telling their stories. And I can tell you, it's not easy. Just listening to what needs to be done makes me hyperventilate, I swear.

So I said "no" to the department store here in Singapore, and since my ambition is to exercise my art and not make big bucks, I suppose, technically, I'm not missing out on anything. In fact, I will definitely be keeping something, and that is my freedom to craft, my freedom to get off my worktable at home to tend to Those Two when they need me, and most of all, the freedom to wake up, throw on anything I want, and not feel I have to look pretty and be smart. ;)



(pic via icanread)

1 comment:

  1. You really are lucky that you have the option to work from home and create beautiful objects of art! =D Eunice

    ReplyDelete